MINUTES OF THE INAUGURAL
MEETING OF THE PENANG CHESS ASSOCIATION
held at 10.00 a.m. on Sunday 12th. March 1972 at the Penang Library.
|Present: 42 adults and 9 juniors
(below the age of 18) signed the attendance register (Ref. Appendix A
1. Encik Ghulam Sarwar, the Chairman of the Penang Library's Extension Activities Sub-Committee briefly outlined the steps that had led to the establishment of the Chess Group in the Library and the subsequent events that had resulted in the Inaugural Meeting of the proposed Penang Chess Association being called. He thanked the Penang Library Management Committee for the Library's assistance and for allowing chess enthusiasts to use the Library as their meeting place.
2. Encik Fang Ewe Churh, the Chairman of the Protem Committee informed members present that the Protem Committee, consisting of the following persons:
Encik Fang Ewe Churh (Chairman);
Encik Ghulam Sarwar (Secretary),
had met several times since its establishment on the 9th of January 1972 to look into details related to the establishing of the Penang Chess Association. He thanked Encik Ghulam Sarwar for having drawn up a draft constitution for the meeting to consider and indicated that various chess activities were in the offing for chess players in Penang. These would include the Malaysian Schools Sports Council's Malaysian Chess Ohampionships which would for the first time be organised in Penang. He expressed the hope that once registered the Penang Chess Association would play a leading part in promoting the game among junior as well as adult players in Penang.
3. Resolution: A resolution for the establishment of the Penang Chess Association, proposed by Encik Teoh Kim Leng, and seconded by Encik Mohammad bin Ismail was unanimously adopted. There was no objection.
4. Draft Constitution: Encik Ghulam Sarwar discussed the proposed Constitution clause by clause. The following amendments were included:
(a) Life Membership: Life Membership was provided for in Article III of the Draft Constitution. It was unanimously agreed that the Subscription for Life Membership should be $100.00
(b) The phrase 'in the name of the Association or on the premises of the Association' was added to Clause 3 of Article X after the words Trade Union Ordinance, 1959, .....'
Encik J.M. Doss proposed that the Constitution be adopted with these amendments. His proposal was seconded by Encik Trilok Singh. There were no objections and the Constitution was unanimously adopted.
5. Election of Office-Bearers and Committee for 1972/73.
The following were elected:
President: Encik Fang Ewe
Auditors: The following persons were appointed Hon. Auditors for the year 1972/73:
Encik Gong Wooi Mau
6. Patrons: The Meeting agreed to invite Y.A. B. Dr. Lim Chong Eu, the Chief Minister, and Encik Lau Hooi Siah to serve as Patrons of the Association.
Adult Members (Present)
1. Sim Hock Kee
Junior Members (Present)
1. Chan Sek Kong